I signed up for SP10, which I am very excited about given the stories I've heard from Knit Mongrel and Knitdds regarding Sp9. So without further ado, here are my questionnaire answers:
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
As any casual observer of this blog would quickly discover, I'm a HUGE fan of Knitpicks yarns - I love that I can get some really soft, luxurious blends for a very reasonable price. I don't know that I have any surprising preferences - as I think with most knitters, I'm a fan of anything super soft. I guess the only stuff I really don't like are the novelty yarns - I've had some bad experiences with eyelash yarn!
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Hmm, I've been working on this. I have not found a really good storage system yet. For now, I keep my needles in an expandable folder (I know, exotic).
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I began knitting in December 2005, taught by Knitdds and Debbie Stoller. I became instantly obsessed! I'd consider myself an intermediate.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
5. What's your favorite scent?
Love jasmine and sandalwood. Not a huge fan of fruity smells.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Ha, I think I'd be understating it if I said yes. I'm a sucker for anything chocolate (milk over dark). I also have an unhealthy addiction to SweetTarts.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I do not spin and am not really otherwise handy. It actually came as quite a surprise to me that I took to knitting as quickly as I did.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I'm pretty easy. I like jazz, classic rock, classical, pretty much whatever. Some of my favorite artists are Sting/The Police (woohoo for the upcoming reunion tour!), Neil Finn (woohoo for the potential Crowded House reunion tour), the Rolling Stones (woohoo for the recent reunion tour - gee, do I sense a pattern?). I have an iPod, so I can play mp3s.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
Purple. I'm not overly fond of yellow, but I think it would be a stretch to say I hate it.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I am married with a 3 year old daughter and a dog.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Yes to scarves. Yes to hats when it's really cold. Sometimes to mittens. No to ponchos.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Although I haven't knit all that many, I really love to knit socks/booties. I've also become quite the fan of knitting hats.
13. What are you knitting right now?
Geez, that's a loaded question. Too many things - I've still got to finish a scarf for the husband. I started Norberta for my daughter. I also have a lace scarf that I'm just barely into but am really determined to finish. Oh, and I still have the 2nd baby cable rib sock to finish for me. And did I mention that I'm really dying to cast on for a Clapotis? Yeah, I really need to finish a couple of other projects first...
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Most definitely. Especially since I started knitting, I truly appreciate the time and effort that goes into a handmade gift.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I don't think I really have a preference - I will typically use whatever the pattern calls for. Although, I really am into the metal needles these days. I love my Knitpicks dpns, and I'm also a fan of the Knitpicks Options line. But, of course, I also have a great respect for the venerable Addi Turbos.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Thanks to my yarn fairies, I own both.
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
Hmm, not particularly old. Probably the lace scarf I'm trying to do - I think I started that before Christmas. I also have my sister's sweater that I knit before Christmas but have yet to seam.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
I guess Christmas. I'm not Christian or otherwise religious, but ya gotta love the infectiousness of that holiday. Or, if you're Ebeneezer Scrooge, you hate it. Whatever. Did I even spell "Ebeneezer" right?
19. Is there anything that you collect?
No. I used to collect paper clips when I was a kid (any Bert fans out there?). And bottle caps. Now, I just collect yarn. :)
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I'm not hugely into knitting publications yet. I have a few books that I really like, and I've been toying with the idea of subscribing to Interweave Knits. I've thumbed through copies of Victorian Lace Today and think it's stunning, but I don't know if I have the gumption to actually buy it, since I'm not sure I could make anything in it.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Not really a new technique, but I need to work on my seaming! I can't say that I have any interest in doing fair isle or anything like that. I'd like to develop the patience to get into lace knitting, because I've seen some really beautiful stuff that I'd love to be able to make.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Love the socks. My shoe size is 7-1/2 to 8, depending on the shoe. Measurements are: foot circumference 8-1/2, heel-to-toe length 7-3/4, and toe length 1-3/4.
23. When is your birthday?