Tuesday, July 3, 2007

I must be crazy

Because I signed up for Mystery Stole 3 last week. I fully blame Knit Mongrel for my dementia. I originally figured it wouldn't be such a big deal for me to join, since I already had enough lace weight yarn and Bryspun needles, which are supposedly great for lace knitting. But I discovered that my lace weight is more like cobweb weight (I'm not sure if that's a technical term, but I think I've read that term online, and it seems to accurately describe the stuff I was using) and I didn't like how it was knitting up at all. And I wasn't digging on my Bryspun. Well, to make a long story not terribly longer, I settled on some beautiful 100% bamboo yarn (Silk City Yarns Bambu 7, to be specific) in my favorite color, purple (to ensure that I keep this knitted item for myself - more on that later) and size 2 Inox circulars. I couldn't actually pick up the required amount of yarn until yesterday afternoon, so I only cast on last night (although the first clue was posted on Friday). But I'm about halfway through the first chart. Wanna see?



The color in this picture isn't entirely accurate - it's much more of a royal purple than blue. Doesn't look like much yet, but I love it! I really like how the bamboo feels. It's really splitty, which can be a pain, but overall, I haven't had too many problems with it.


The MS3 designer recommended a black or white yarn for this project, and I could've purchased some black bamboo for this. But Knit Mongrel and my LYS owner both said that knitting with black yarn is not so much fun. Plus I kinda figured that I'd be more inclined to gift the stole if I knit it in black. And that's a problem because in a year and a half of knitting, which includes a number of FOs, I HAVE NEVER KNIT ANYTHING FOR MYSELF!!! That's so wrong, isn't it? I mean, I love to knit for others, but I think it's about time I make something for moi. So, since I don't know anyone who loves purple as I do, I figured if I got the purple bamboo, I'd be more likely to keep it than find a reason to gift it.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

You better keep that sucker! :) Have a great holiday!

Anonymous said...

Ok, here's what you do. If you're feeling the overwhelming urge to gift the stole, just give it to me! That way I can GIVE THE SUCKER BACK. :)

Problem solved. It's so pretty, by the way.

Anonymous said...

ya, I have that problem too 8-)

Break that bad habit! Then tell me how you did it!

Smooches